Saturday, March 21, 2009

My Green Thumb Attempt.

I love gardens. I really wish I had one. Even better, I really wish I could attempt one without killing it. My husband calls me the Merciless Torturer of Plants. That's how bad I am at growing things. So imagine the surprise when I announced to friends and family that I would be growing my own herb garden!! I received many different looks; looks of shock, looks of concern (probably for the plants...) , mostly looks of confusion. My husband came home as I was putting the finishing touches on the garden and just shook his head.......
I thought this weekend would be perfect for planting, yesterday being the first day of spring and all....but of course it rained. Of course it did.
In all, I have 5 different types of herbs. 5! Cilantro is hanging in the basket, Thyme and Oregano are jammin' together in the large pot, and Basil and Rosemary get their own digs.
I'm getting giddy just thinking about the fact that I never have to pay for organic herbs again!! If I can keep these babies alive, that is. Herb gardens really are a great investment. Think about how much you spend on fresh herbs at the store. Now, including soil, I spent a total of $28 to never have to buy herbs again. How exciting!! If this pans out, hopefully I can add some other edibles to my love garden. We shall see, we shall see. I will be visiting Organic Herb Gardening a lot to make sure I do everything right. Ha, now I'm turning from a lazy plant caretaker to an overprotective over-waterer and over-fertilizer. Good thing I spent extra on that fancy Moisture-control soil....
Does anyone else have an herb garden? Please send me pics! I'd love to see it and share it on the site! I would also appreciate any advice and/or encouragement in the comments section.



2 comments:

Reeni said...

Fresh herbs are the best!! Good luck with it!

Jaime and Jen DISH said...

I don't have an herb garden but I just told my husband that I wanted to get one started. Because I live in Arizona where it's going to get HOT HOT HOT, I have to figure out where and what to plant, ya know?

I'm Jenifer, I use Just Jen all the time, hee hee...because in reality, I'm just Jen.

Nice to meet you!

Jenifer

J & J DISH

Post a Comment